7 Ways To Look Seven Years Younger
by Rebekah Yahoves
One of the best parts about passing forty is that other people’s opinions begin to matter less (in my opinion!). You are suddenly uninterested in impressing people you don’t really like anyway.
That being said, we all like to look our best whenever we are out and about. And mature women are always interested in how they can restore that youthful glow to their appearance.
Here are some easy ways to look seven years younger, without even skipping dessert.
- The Power of the Weekly Blow-Out. A hair blow-out gives you a professional, polished appearance that a messy bun can’t match. Having your hair coiffed into neatly combed layers and shined up with some gloss lets others know that you view yourself as worthy of time, effort, and expense. The weekly maintenance doesn’t have to break your budget. Many discount salons offer blow-outs for less than $15. And you can keep going to your regular beautician for cuts and color.
- Try a Serum. If you are over forty, a facial serum is a great addition to your skincare routine. It provides extra moisture and gives your skin a softer, smoother texture. Antioxidants help protect your skin against fine lines. A little serum can go a long way toward restoring a warm, glowing appearance. You can even find affordable brands at your local drug store.
- Invest in a Great Pair of Jeans. While you shouldn’t dress like a teenager, a great-fitting pair of jeans lets the world know you are still vivacious and carefree. Consider wearing skinny jeans with longer tunics or printed tops. While you should generally avoid the tattered styles, bootcut and dark washes look great on women over forty. You can pair them with heels for a daytime event or even a night out.
4. Eye Cream. The first signs of aging appear under the eyes, in the form of puffiness and dark circles. Fine lines appear because of sun damage and a decrease in collagen. Eye cream can help lighten dark circles and reduce the appearance of fine lines immediately. You will wake up to a more refreshed, youthful-looking face.
5. Get a New Bra. The right bra will make you appear ten pounds slimmer. It will restore a tighter, more streamlined look to your overall appearance. An older bra can cause your bust to sag and look older. For best results, you should replace your bra every six months to a year. Be sure that your new lingerie is lined and the strap is snug.
6. Find a Workout You Love. Exercise slows down cell aging, and may even turn off the aging process in your chromosomes. The key with working out is not to force yourself into a regimen that is a chore for you. A great yoga or Zumba class a couple of times a week can restore your energy like nothing else can. Or you can opt for a brisk walk around your neighborhood three times a week. Find some of your favorite tunes and let them pump you up to a youthful shine.
- Don’t Worry. Stress can help you age faster. If you worry about your job or finances too often, you may be harming your appearance, which can make you even more miserable. If there is nothing you can do about the situation you are concerned about, put it in the back of your mind until there is a solution available. Or call a friend to relieve some of the burden.
It also helps to write down all of your fears or anxieties in one place. You will get it out of your system and can then begin concentrating on things you actually do have control over. In a few months, you may look back at your current worries and be surprised at how insignificant they seem.
None of us can help getting older, but we can all do something about the way we feel while we are getting there. A little extra effort can go a long way to helping you look and feel young at heart.
Photos by Style Lab Blowout and Moxie Market.